- Railworld Wildlife Haven is perfect for train lovers, home to a 2,000 square feet of Model Railways.
- Featuring a fantastic Nature habitat created by volunteers, you can immerse yourself in natural habitats plus the Miniature Railway World.
- Don’t miss out on spending some time with Thomas the Tank Engine and play with some miniature trains.
- This is a great place to go to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city centre, and just a short walk away.
Railworld Wildlife Haven is a hidden gem in Cambridgeshire, located just a short walk away from Peterborough city centre; it’s the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. Run by volunteers, this haven is home to a miniature railway set, model railway museum, and Nature habitat for the little ones to explore.
This model railway has a diverse range of locomotives, starting with a classic Swedish Pacific steam train, popular with many. Discover all the nooks and crannies and take a stroll through the Garden Railways to immerse yourself in this site’s history. Did you know the surrounding area was previously an old Power Station and coal yard? The amazing volunteers there have recreated it into a wildlife habitat, and this is a great place to let off some steam. Pack a picnic and spend a few hours out in nature!
Fancy catching up and learning about some of the local history of Peterborough’s railways? From over 25 years of transformation, the three acres of derelict landscape has become a pretty landscaped wildlife habitat. This natural habitat is home to over 300 species of fauna and flora, making it great for some pictures of the kids. This hidden gem has lots of fun to uncover.
There is a little shop that sells drinks and snacks, plus there are plenty of picnic areas. We recommend you bring your own food to get the most out of your day! Take the chance to relax in the serene picnic area, and watch the mainline passenger and freight trains as they pass by.
Be sure to check out the interactive activities on offer, like playing with the signal box! After, go on a delightful walk, where you can take a peep at the giant steam engine arriving into the platform. The little ones will love the moving train and using the buttons to move it themselves. Visit the stunning gardens area which is easily accessible and provides a lovely walk over a bridge.
There’s lots of outdoor space for the kids to run around in and let their imaginations run wild. Other areas you can have fun in include the Edwardian twin-cylinder steam-driven alternator and the unique RTV 31 Hovertrain. If you enjoy Peterborough's greenery, you might also like a day out in Ferry Meadows Country Park.
Over in the model railway, known as 'OO' Gauge Model Railway, why not have a go at trying to spot Thomas and friends out on one of their adventures? Channel the Fat Controller and your little ones can send little locomotives off in different directions at just the push of a button. If you like what you see and want to see another Model village and railway, make sure to visit the nearby Bekonscot Model Village.
Don’t miss out on the Peterborough model railway show that happens annually, with fun activities for the whole family. This is the largest model railway show in the East of England, and hosts over 30 layouts, which are a must-see for any locomotive enthusiast. From a variety of major scales and gauges and over 100 quality traders and demonstrators, there is much to explore. For those with little legs, there are step stools dotted around the show for younger train lovers to get up close to the action.
What to know before you go
- There are on-site toilets and accessible toilets.
- There are baby changing facilities on site.
- Railworld Wildlife Haven is wheelchair accessible and pushchair accessible.
- There is a shop on site where you can purchase snacks and drinks but not full meals. If you’re looking for somewhere to eat, Peterborough city centre is close by with many eateries on offer. The most popular choice for hungry visitors, though, is to make use of the pretty gardens and picnic tables and bring your own delicious food and snacks.
- Dogs are welcome in Railworld Wildlife Haven.
- Conveniently located in the city, Railworld Wildlife Haven is under a 10-minute walk from Peterborough Station and Queensgate Shopping centre, so whether you come by train or from the city centre, it’s not far.
- You can also take a taxi from the centre of town, which takes just four minutes.
- If travelling by car, you can get to Railworld Wildlife Haven via the A1(M), A14, A10, M1, and A47.
- There is on-site parking.