- Take a guided tour of vibrant city Newcastle upon Tyne and discover its rich history.
- Explore Newcastle Castle and the Cathedral Church of St. Nicholas, which have artefacts from the 13th century.
- Marvel at the neoclassical beauty of Grey Street’s buildings, which has been voted one of the most beautiful streets in Britain.
- Discover Newcastle’s hidden gems over the course of a few hours in this walking tour of the city.
There is no better way to explore the regional capital of the North East than with this brilliant guided tour of Newcastle. Immerse yourself in the city's fascinating history and learn all about the Toon’s past, which dates back almost 2,000 years. Scratch beneath the surface of this ancient riverside city and trace the story of Newcastle as it stood defiant against the Scots right up to it being the centre of the Industrial Revolution in the 19th century.
Meeting your guide at Earl Grey’s Monument, you will embark on a walking tour of Newcastle with a well-informed guide who will show you the city from a new perspective. From Grainger Town and the Brutal structures of the '60s and '70s to medieval buildings, each and every building in Newcastle has something special. You will be taken inside the Cathedral Church of St. Nicholas and Newcastle Castle, both of which have a thousand years of history.
Absorb the city’s vibrant atmosphere and come away with some brand-new stories to tell. The perfect introduction to a very special city.
What to know before you go
- Admission to St. Nicholas Cathedral Church and Newcastle Castle are included in the price of the ticket.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to the tour start time.
- Meet your guide at the front of Earl Grey’s Monument.
- When you arrive at the meeting point, show your ticket on your smartphone.
- The minimum age for this tour is six.
- It’s not possible to bring buggies on this tour.
- This is an English-speaking live tour.
- The tour starts at either 9am or 1pm.
- Lunch is not included, but your guide will be able to recommend somewhere afterwards. Feel free to bring additional food and drinks with you.
- There is a moderate amount of walking on this tour.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and bring clothes for all weather conditions.
- Bring along a camera with you to capture all of your favourite sights of Newcastle.
- If you require wheelchair access, please let the tour company know in advance.
- Changes may be possible for this ticket.
- You have the option of selecting a free cancellation when booking your ticket and cancelling until 11.59pm on the day before your visit.
- The starting point of the tour is Earl Grey's Monument located on Grainger Street. The tour finishes at Newcastle Castle.
- Earl Grey's Monument is an eight-minute walk away from Newcastle Central station.
- Newcastle to London Kings Cross takes just three hours by train.
- The metro stops at Monument station. It is a two-minute walk from here.
- Bus routes 22, 28A, 306, X1, X34, X46, X71, X78 stop nearby.
- By car, Newcastle has easy access to the A1(M). There is parking available at Worswick Street car park, which is a short walk away.
Find out more about Iles Tours here.